Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lecture Summary - Week 9

Once again, it’s great to be here, informing you about the weekly lectures. Don’t get me wrong, they are definitely a hoot! Unfortunately this will be my 9th and final summary, so please enjoy!

Everything about our social networking environment is constantly changing. The first of my online social networking experience was with MySpace. Once I moved to Brisbane for university, Facebook became my new substitute for MySpace. It is so much easier to use, and we don’t have to bother about keeping our profile looking up to date. Now I’m in my second semester of my first year at University and as a requirement for one of my subjects I have to use Twitter. If it wasn’t for this subject I don’t think I would have ever associated with the networking site. Is it good to have this environment where everything is constantly changing? What do you think?

The lecturer spoke about how Rupert Murdock bought MySpace for an extremely large sum of money and will most likely not be able to make that back because MySpace is not popular anymore. Everyone has merged to Facebook. A comment which was brought up was ‘Why do we spend millions of dollars on social networking sites just to watch them fall?’ This is because apparently social networking sites succeed most when they are specific. Examples of networking sites were shown in the lecture that do well, such as the Vampire site.

We looked at the website ‘Wayback Machine’ which takes old websites and archives them. We looked at websites such as Yahoo, Google and Griffith University to see how much their page structure has developed and advanced. Unlike Yahoo and GU, Goggle’s website has hardly changed. If something worked 10 years ago, why change it?

We had a different lecturer this week. I like it how we get different speakers some weeks. It keeps the subject interesting and we get to experience different people’s point of view. This week’s lecturer showed us his sweet as website of sweet as games. I was very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment